Friday -  November   24 ,  2017
IMAGE GALLERY (PAGE 2/2) - PREVIOUS PAGE - GALLERY HOME
Image 025
Hoge
Hoge was a railroad station located approximately 4 miles Northwest of the current town of Basehor. Through the years Hoge boasted a post office, a grocery store, a creamery, and a blacksmith shop. This building was not far from Hoge on what was the Donnelly farm. It still stands today. Father Kuhls would stay overnight in the building in order to say Sunday morning Mass at the Holy Angels Church. The building was built circa 1900, is made of 18 inch stone and has a loft and fireplace.
Photo Courtesy of Basehor Historical Society
Image 026
Linwood - c. 1910
Main Street of Linwood, Kansas. Linwood is situated where the Kansas River and Big Stranger Creek come together, on the southern boundary of Leavenworth County. It is one of the oldest communities in the county. Prior to being named Linwood, the town was called Journeycake, after Charles Journeycake, a noted chief of the Delaware Indians. In 1867 the name was changed to Stranger and then, once again, in 1877 the name was changed to Linwood, after the Linden trees which grew there.
Photo Courtesy of Kansas State Historical Society
Image 027
M. Campbell Store - Year Unknown
This store sat on the east side of what is now Highway 7 in Lansing, Kansas on the corner of Minnie (n/k/a Main) & Kansas Ave. It was owned by Mabel & Dave Campbell and sold groceries and hardware. Dr. Moore's office and the phone company were on the 2nd floor. The building was razed when the highway was widened circa 1965.
Photo Courtesy of First City Photo
Image 028
Linwood, Kansas - c. 1918
These men are loading Kaw Valley Potatoes from a homemade or modified truck to a Union Pacific box car in Linwood, Kansas. Linwood is one of the oldest communities in Leavenworth County. Prior to being named Linwood, the town was called Journeycake, after Charles Journeycake a noted chief of the Delaware Indians. In 1867 the name was changed to Stranger and then, once again, in 1877 the name was changed to Linwood, after the native Linden trees which grew there. Linwood still exists today (4-18-06).
Photo Courtesy of Kansas State Historical Society
Image 029
Millwood - Millwood General Store and Garage
Built in 1922 east of Stranger Creek. The post office in Millwood was established April 5, 1871 and discontinued March 31, 1904. Pictured left to right are Otto J. Seute, Robert J. Seute (born 1920), Ole Pflumm, Herman Seute (owner of store), Floyd Warden, (Leavenworth County Commissioner 1953 - 1957). Photo was taken approximately 1923.
Photo Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Robert J. Seute & Mr. Ronald Younger
Image 030
Old Soldiers Home - Year Unknown
This view is looking N. on Franklin St. of what is now named the Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center. Barrack bldgs, the Mess Hall and Bldg 29 are visible on the right. There is an elegant gazebo on the left. Established by Congress in 1884, the Western Branch for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers housed Union Civil War veterans who were unable to support themselves. At its peak it cared for thousands of veterans. The facility was located in Wadsworth (now the southern extremity of Leavenworth.)
Photo Courtesy of First City Photo
Image 031
Volz Meat Market - Circa 1890
Volz meat market, owned and operated by John Volz, was located at 738-740 Shawnee Street, Leavenworth. The business was established in 1870, the meat market firm organized in 1880. They salted and smoked beef and pork, and packed about 400 barrels of beef and 4000 to 5000 heads of hogs annually. The market went out of operation in 1899. They employed 10-12 workers, at the time of this picture the employees were, starting at #1: W. Jackson, Harry Atkinson, Allen Logan, Fred Volz, Walter Miller, Burt Hauer, Adam Berg, John Volz, Will Phillips, W.J. Smith.
Photo Courtesy of Carroll House Museum