Monday -  March   27 ,  2017
IMAGE GALLERY (PAGE 1/2) - NEXT PAGE - GALLERY HOME
Image 001
Courthouse Steps
Six women posing on the courthouse steps circa late 1920's. Note: the clothing which was typical of that era; the cloche and brimmed hats, the shorter skirts and the fur trim.
Photo Courtesy of the Carroll House Museum
Image 002
Easton - c. 1915
W.T. Hines and Son building. The stone for this building was moved from the gristmill in Millwood in 1910 and was a hospital run by Dr. William Adams. Dr. Adams came to Easton in 1895; his brother Alonzo arrived there in 1904. In 1913 the dissolved their partnership and Dr. Alonzo Adams bought out the drug store, The building seen to the right of the hardware store was the old Easton State Bank.
Photo Courtesy of Bobby Watkins
Image 003
Fall Leaf School - District No. 52 - 1899
Fall leaf School was started in a log cabin school built in 1865. It was about three miles northwest of Eudora beside the Kaw River and Union Pacific Railroad tracks. in 1882 it had 108 students taught by one teacher, F.M. Adams. This frame school building was erected in 1899. It stood until it was burned in 1909. In 1913 a brick school building was built on another plot of ground. It closed and became a part of the Linwood School System in the 1950's.
Photo Courtesy of Kansas State Historical Society
Image 004
Jarbalo High School - c. 1932
Jarbalo had the first rural High School in Leavenworth County. Jarbalo Rural High School war organized in 1916. A.H. Berger, Wm. Leak & Alex Dougherty were the first board members. The contractors were Dunn & Dunn. The cost was $15,000. It was completed for the opening of the fall term in 1917. The first teachers were Sam B. Smith, Principal, Miss Gladys Grove, and Miss Olive Starns. The building was destroyed by fire December 31, 1933.: History of Jarbalo R.H.S. from 1948-49 JHS Yearbook.
Photo Courtesy of Thamar Barnett
Image 005
Jarbalo State Bank
The Jarbalo State Bank was built in 1906. In the 1930's the bank was robbed. The thieves got away with $215, due to lack of business, the bank closed. The building was remodeled and was made into a home. (Taken from the Jarbalo Hi-Lites, school paper, 1963). This painting of the bank was done by Mae Henry in 1966 from an old photograph.
Photo Courtesy of Thamar Barnett
Image 006
Kickapoo Land Office
Kansas was made a land district by Congress July 22, 1854, and was officially open for white settlement. Julius G. Newman made the first pre-emptive entry April 21, 1857 for property northwest of Atchison. March 1857 congress provided for land offices at Doniphan, Fort Scott, and Ogden. The Doniphan office was removed to Kickapoo City in December, 1857, where it was retained until September 6, 1861 when it was taken to Atchison. In December 1863 it was consolidated with the Topeka office. The photograph depicts the land office as it was after it was abandoned, located in the extreme NE part of the county, N of Fort Leavenworth.
Photo Courtesy of Kansas State Historical Society
Image 007
Kickapoo Methodist Church - year unknown
What is interesting about this photograph is the re-touching of it. Early photos were sometimes retouched to compensate for flaws in the photograph. As photography developed, clear definition of the image reduced the need for retouching. This led to verbal skirmishes between photographers who insisted in "truth in photography". Opponents called retouching degenerating, demoralizing, and untruthful.
Photo Courtesy of Kansas State Historical Society
Image 008
Kickapoo Public School - c. 1894
This photo was taken of the children and their teacher in front of the Kickapoo Public School in 1894. The Teacher was Annie Davis. Which one do you think is Annie? Kickapoo City's post office was established 01-24-1855 and discontinued on 01-23-1902 when it was moved to Kickapoo until it was discontinued on 08-31-1920. The post office dates give us a good indication of when the town was established and in some cases when it disappeared.
Photo Courtesy of First City Photo
Image 009
"Lansing Gentlemen"
Though date unknown, this photo shows four unidentified men posing on a cart by the Lansing Union Pacific Railroad Depot. Lansing is situated 5 miles south of Leavenworth, and had three Railroads occupying it between the late 1800ís to early 1900ís. They were the Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe, Missouri Pacific, and Union Pacific roads. Presently Lansing has a historically accurate restoration of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Depot, which was originally built there in 1887. This restoration of the Depot is west of the Lansing Correctional Facility, and houses the Lansing Historical Museum.
Image 010
Lansing Penitentiary - c. 1928
This photo of the main entrance at the Kansas State Penitentiary dates from the spring (notice the dandelions in the foreground). The castle-like turrets were parts of the original prison architecture. They have since been removed. The automobile on the far left appears to be a 1921 Model T Ford.
Photo Courtesy of First City Photo
Image 011
Leavenworth - .c 1874
An 1874 photo taken from the roof of what is now 406 Shawnee Street looking north between Fourth St. & Fifth St., shows a prospering downtown Leavenworth. In the foreground is Atchison's Coal and Woodshop run by Daniel Atchison Note the two tall buildings in the background. They were the Immaculate Conception Cathedral (left) and the Morris School (right).
Photo Courtesy of First City Photo
Image 012
The Planters Hotel - .c 1941
The Planters Hotel opened in 1856. This era was Leavenworth's bloodiest. Border warfare flared. The proprietors of the hotel accommodated both pro-slavery & abolitionist sympathyzers, thus, gaining revenue from both sides. Known at the time as the fines hotel in the West, it catered to many famous people: Gen. U.S. Grant, Horace Greeley, Gen. Wm. T. Sherman and Sarah Bernhardt. Abraham Lincoln was the best known visitor. In December 1859 he gave a speech on the west steps. The building suffered a fire and was demolished in 1958.
Photo Courtesy of First City Photo
Image 013
Reno Methodist Church
This church was built in 1891 at a cost of $1,900. The first minister was John Jacobs, a blacksmith and a Baptist. It was destroyed by fire in 1918, but was immediately rebuilt. The second church officially closed in 1993. To save it from being torn down, the congregation sold the building to the Tonganoxie Historical society on June 9, 1993 for $1.00 and paid the cost of moving it to the historical site in the Spring of 1994.
Photo Courtesy of Tonganoxie Historical Society
Image 014
School Children at the First Reno School - Date Unknown
This photo is of the first Reno school, the year is unknown. Reno's post office was established on 7-6-1864 and discontinued on 9-30-1918. This gives us a good indication of when the town was established and when it disappeared.
Photo Courtesy of Tonganoxie Historical Museum
Image 015
Spring Hill One Room School House - .c 1915
This photo was taken in 1915 or 1916 by Dorothy Richardson, the schoolteacher. She graduated from Lansing High School in 1914. The tall girl in the picture by the pony is Josie Stiglemire, who won the pony and cart in an essay contest. The lean-to portion of the building at the rear is the coal bin. The school was built in 1889 and burned down in 1968.
Photo Courtesy of First City Photo
Image 016
Springdale School
Springdale School. District No. 24. Photo was taken circa 1925. Edna Stolte is one of the students pictured. Springdale is located approximately 20 miles due west of Leavenworth. Springdale's post office was established on 09-24-1860 and discontinued on 03-15-1907. These dates can indicate approximately when the town was established and, in some cases, when it disappeared.
Photo Courtesy of Thamar Barnett
Image 017
Springdale St. Thomas Catholic Church - .c 1907
Springdale, Kansas is located approximately 5 miles west of Leavenworth. Springdale's post office opened September 24, 1860 and closed on March 15, 1907.
Photo Courtesy of Thamar Barnett
Image 018
Tonganoxie - c. 1910
4th & Delaware looking East. The large building on the left is where the current police station stands. Tonganoxie was named after a Delaware chief. The Chief Tonganoxie Lodge, built 1835, was a stopover for mail and passengers traveling through the area. The town was est. in 1866 after Magdalena Bury bought 40 acres from the U.P. RR and platted the town.
Photo Courtesy of John Cass Lenahan
Image 019
Voting at Kickapoo
This Illustration by Albert D. Richardson in 1867 depicts Pro-Slavery Missourians voting at Kickapoo, Kansas Territory 1855. When Kansas was officially opened for settlement in 1854, President Franklin Pierce gave the territory the right to decide the question of slavery for itself. This caused great tribulations between Free Soilers and Pro-Slavery settlers. Supporters of both sides poured into Kansas hoping to gain numbers for their side. March 30, 1855, an election of the Territorial Legislature was held. While Abolitionists shipped guns and munitions to thier supporters, thousands of Missourians crossed the border, posing as Kansans, demanding the right to vote at gunpoint. They transformed the election into a horrible series of violent acts, which were becoming commonplace during elections. These acts of hatred and violence formed the beginning of what became known as "Bleeding Kansas".
Image 020
Downtown Leavenworth
Leavenworth, first incorporated city in Kansas (1854), saw its first center of commerce adjacent to the Missouri River. Gradually the business district expanded west from the Levee, and by the early 1900s, Fifth and Delaware was one of the city's principal intersections. This view looks east toward the river.
Image 021
Basehor - c. 1910
The community of Basehor referred to itself as "the Milk Town". That title is evidenced by the milk cans on the wagons in the foreground. Note the pitcher and basin on the dresser in the second floor window of the Hotel Mayfield.
Photo Courtesy of Basehor Historical Society
Image 022
Boling General Store
Boling was a town situated on the Leavenworth & Topeka Railroad about 9 miles sw of Leavenworth. It had a money order post office and telegraph facilities. The post office was est. on 7-14-1882 and discontinued on 7-31-1918. In 1910 the population was 32. R. L Seymour built this store in 1901 after the prior building burned down. The upper level was used for meetings of the Modern Woodmen of America. Their emblem is seen on the front of the building.
Photo Courtesy of Carroll House Museum
Image 023
Easton, Kansas
Main street of Easton, circa early 1900's. Easton is a town in Leavenworth County, approximately 11 miles WNW of Leavenworth, on Stranger Creek. Easton dates back to the mid 1800's; the post office having been established on 12-21-1855.
Photo Courtesy of Bob Watkins
Image 024
Easton, Kansas - Maier Drug Store
In 1927 John (Jack) Maier purchased this drug store from Dr. A. R. Adams under whom he had apprenticed since his 1913 graduation from Easton High School. He kept it open until just before his death in 1969. This photo is circa 1965. Pictured from left to right are Pete Wagner, Edward (Mike) Toedter, Millard Erwvin, and John (Jack) Maier.
Photo Courtesy of Bob Watkins