The County Clerk is elected in November for a term of four years, taking office the second Tuesday in January following the election.
Janet Klasinski serves as the County Clerk.
The primary duties of the office, as required by law, are:
- Official secretary of the Board of County Commissioners
- Serves as the Leavenworth County Election Officer
- Signs the records of proceedings and attests the same with the seal of the County
- Prepares the tax roll for the county and then furnishes an abstract of the taxes to be collected by the County Treasurer
- Assists township and drainage districts with budget preparation
- Checks all budgets for legal limits and sets levies
- Maintains the record of all special assessments, both county and city
- Transfers ownership of all real estate for tax assessment roll, accepts new plats and checks for accuracy
- Registers temporary notes and bonds
- Issues hunting and fishing licenses
- Keeps records of all county receipts and expenditures